Thursday, October 24, 2019

Senior Spotlight: Sloane McNeill

We thought you must all wonder about who our students are, about what they do, whether in our classrooms, or outside, about what their dreams are like.  So we have started a Senior Spotlight series, where one could get a (tiny) glimpse of their awesomeness.  We continue here with a spotlight on Sloane McNeill, from Avondale Pennsylvania (Avon Grove High School), who has been interviewed by Logan Zentz, another JMU senior physics major. 

LZ: What motivated you to become a physics major at JMU?  

SM: I was always very interested in my science classes in high school, especially when I took physics. I found it to be very challenging and could tell that there was much more to learn about than what the school year had time for. Once I realized I could combine my passions of astronomy and physics together, I knew I wanted to major in physics.
When looking at programs at other schools, I found JMU to be the most appealing. Since JMU does not have a graduate school, all of the research opportunities are given to undergraduates. I was excited that I could start exploring different aspects of astrophysics as early as my first year.

LZ: What were some of your favorite classes you have taken physics or otherwise?

SM: One of my favorite classes so far has been Physics 270: Modern Physics. This class was the first time in my physics education where we were taught about material I had never been exposed to previously. The course is designed to introduce the ideas of quantum physics, specifically how they relate to atomic structure and nuclear physics. Our professor, Dr. Hughes, was able to introduce all of these ideas with us, while at the same time relating it back to familiar ideas in order for us to understand easier.  I also really enjoyed the material taught in Astronomy 221: Star Systems, the Interstellar Medium, and Cosmology taught by Dr. Sean Scully. Dr. Scully always encouraged questions and was available during office hours. I had a great time learning more about cosmology as well as being introduced to my later research project: masers.
  

LZ: What do you do for your research and why were you attracted to that area of study?

SM: For the past two years, I have been working with Dr. Anca Constantin on better understanding some of the mid-infrared properties that are associated with galaxies that host megamasers in a disk-like configuration. Though they are extremely rare, these types of emissions give us direct distances to the galaxies, as well as the most accurate measurement of the supermassive black hole mass at their center. I initially approached Dr. Constantin after hearing about her research because I found very limited material on the subject and wanted to learn more.  

LZ: What are you most proud of?
SM: I am most proud of my ability to share my interests with others who have a wide range of experience with physics. I find it beneficial to be able to discuss material I have learned from classes or even my own research with some of my friends who may have never even taken a physics class before. I am proud that I have been able to share some of the things that I am passionate about with others.