Friday, November 22, 2019

Senior Spotlight: Teddy Chu

Theodore Ming-Rei (Teddy) Chu is a Physics and Mathematics major, with a research focus in nuclear physics, working with Dr. Banu.  Teddy is from Ashburn, Virginia, attended Broad Run High School where he was member of the school chamber orchestra, the debate team, and the Latin club.  Also, he has studied abroad in Scotland at U. Edinburgh for Scottish literature and U. Saint Andrews for geology.   Teddy has been interviewed by his fellow senior physics major Alexandria Ebyni-Danyale Federick.

AF: Why physics?

TC: I've always loved science and had an idea that I wanted to pursue it when I was in grade school.  When I was in high school, I was pretty certain I wanted to go for chemistry until I actually took physics.  What really got me hooked with it was the idea that physics questions and explores the fundamental underpinnings of our existence, and it does so in a way that not many other fields do.  The unit on forces is probably where I started to better understand how physics defined the rules for the world in this beautiful mathematical structure, and it's been quite a ride ever since.

For my actual research focus in nuclear, my curiosity had been piqued by how vaguely it was described in grade school.  The idea of everything built on these fundamental blocks yet producing infinitely many wild forms and characteristics was fun to explore, and I wanted to know more.  After doing some reading at home and learning more about how complex the nuclear world was, I knew that I wanted to pursue it further in college.

As far as math goes, it's beautiful in a way different from physics.  When I'm able to take some principles in mathematics and use them or see how they can give rise to particular phenomena in physics, that's when I more fully appreciate both these fields.

AF: What are you doing after graduation? 

TC: I'd definitely like to pursue a doctoral program after college, but I want to wait a little beforehand.  I have an internship with the Naval Research Laboratory in the area of optical sensing lined up for when I graduate, which is a pretty big shift from what I've done in the past.  But, I'm very excited about the work they're doing, so we'll see in the future if I end up pursuing nuclear or optical physics for my doctorate.  Who knows though?  Maybe I'll be working in something radically different!

After graduating I definitely want to travel a bit more, especially around Canada and Western America.  Internationally, exploring Europe and Southeast Asia would be pretty rad.

In the grand scheme of things, I'm really just hoping I can work on being happy in the future.  I've had a lot of that up till now and I'm trying to keep the streak going, you know?

AF:  What is your greatest achievement thus far?

TC: I'm really proud that I have a year-long internship coming up with the Naval Research Laboratory.  I was always worried that my outlook after undergrad was working in a place where I either wouldn't be able to continue pursuing the experimental aspect of science or not utilizing the skills I gained in my time at JMU.  Having this opportunity is something that I had always hoped for but never imagined I'd be able to pursue for this length of time this soon after my undergraduate career.

AF: Any fun fact abut yourself?

TC: I really like the culinary arts as well!  I've made quite a few pies and sourdough rolls (with starter from JMU Chemistry's own Dr. Reisner!) among other things, and I love playing around with different ingredients.  Admittedly, I do tend to cook and bake more under stress, but it helps further develop my skill in each and take my mind off of things for a bit so it's kind of nice.  

Favourite thing I've made so far?  Blueberry-basil pie.

Also, I've worked at a coffee shop since my junior year of high school, and was a competitive barista as well.  It involved a lot of attention to technique and learning about coffee and tea, and especially a lot of late night coffee tastings.  And yes, I can do the fancy latte art things!