Friday, December 06, 2019

Senior Spotlight: Alex Federick

Alexandria Ebyni-Danyale Federick is a senior physics from Herndon VA, coming from Westfield High School in Chantilly.  She does research with Dr. Scarel on how radio waves effect the nervous system.  Alex is Air Force ROTC and will be commissioning as a 2nd Lieutenant in May 2020.  This interview has been prepared by our senior physics major Piper Smith


PS: Where would you like to take your passion for physics? Where would you
like your career to go?

AEF: I would like to take my passion for physics to meteorology, that has always been my career goal. While studying physics, and participating in the Air Force ROTC, I came to learn how interesting studying atmospheric physics 
would be now, in the space age and sounding rocket era. I hope to get my masters in atmospheric physics while continuing my active duty in the military. 

PS: What are some of your interests outside of school and physics?  

AEF: I am in Air Force ROTC and I also love color guard, I was in the JMU Color guard my freshmen year. Color guard in high school was an outlet for me to express my emotions and a stress relief for school. I am also involved in JMU Fitness Club, Arnold Air Society, and I work on campus at Madison Union as a building manager.  I love to stay active within the community and being apart of these organizations has allowed me to do that by volunteering.

PS: What are your longer term career goals? Where do you see yourself in 5-10 years?

AEF: My longer term career goal is to be a meteorologist for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration while also being a reservist in the Air Force. I want to be able to participate in scientific discovery but also continue fighting for our country.  

PS: What are you most proud of? 

AEF: I am most proud of my ability to stay in physics and in ROTC. The two are very much time and energy demanding in their own way and most people find it very difficult to juggle the two, and sometimes one alone.  Although my performance was probably not at the highest level, I was able to make it to my senior year without dropping one of them.  Through all the obstacles that came through my four years at JMU I persevered and now I am very close (one more semester! and the hardest classes are now behind me!) to graduating with a bachelor of science in physics.  This was not an easy journey, and it has also taught me a lot about myself.