- Take class notes by hand, don't rely on handouts. Each evening, rewrite your notes, compressing and adding to make sure that you really understand.
- If you miss a class, get notes from a friend that you must copy and work through. Again, avoid class handouts as the sole source of information.
- Form study groups and mix individual study with group study.
- Treat textbook examples as worked homework problems. Master the method, not simply the solution. Practice working problems without assistance (as in an exam setting).
- Teach the material to others.
- Set your goals realistically.
The teaching strategies are also important and can give a learner good ideas about how to best learn. See the article for more details.