Monday, October 21, 2019

Senior Spotlight: Sean Christian

Sean Christian is a 4th year senior here at JMU.  He is double majoring in Physics and Geology, with minors in Mathematics, Geophysics, and Astronomy, and concentrating in geophysics.  He does research with Dr. Butner.  Sean is from Springfield, VA and attended West Springfield High School.  He is a proud member of the Marching Royal Dukes (MRD) here at JMU.  After college, Sean hopes to find a career in the field of planetary science. Sean is being interviewed by Matthew Almond, another Senior physics major.  

MA: What led you to Physics as a degree?  What about your concentration?

SC: When I first took Physics in high school, I seemed to have both a bit of a natural ability and a passion for the subject.  I took the advanced physics course in my senior year of high school and that class helped me to realize that Physics is something I could see myself doing for a career.  When I arrived at JMU, I got interested in planetary science as well as sub-surface physical properties.  I found out that we had a geophysics track here.  So, it seemed like a natural decision to concentrate in geophysics.

MA: What are your interests outside of school?

SC: One of my biggest passions outside of Physics is music.  I actually almost decided to become a music major here.  So, a large part of my time is spent being a member of the Marching Royal Dukes here on campus.

MA: What pushed you to choose Physics over Music?

SC: I would say that physics provides a greater breadth of career opportunities than Music.

MA: What are your long-term career goals?  Where do you see yourself in 5-10 years?

SC: My career goal is to end up studying the geophysical properties of planets outside of our solar system.  I see myself moving directly into industry out of undergrad and if my employer will sponsor it, potentially going back to school to get a masters or PhD in planetary science.

MA: What are you most proud of, considering your time at JMU?

SC: Within the physics major, I am most proud of all of the knowledge I’ve gained throughout my studies. Outside of physics, I am most proud of participating in the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day parade with the MRD’s.