Friday, November 08, 2019

Senior Spotlight: Jorge Peña

Jorge Peña is a senior Physics major, Math and Robotics minor at James Madison University and currently does research in Nuclear Physics.  He is from Fairfax, Virginia where, while in high school, he ran track, cross country, and volunteered at a hospital for most of his high school career. Jorge initially didn't think he would go into Physics as he came into College as Pre-Med, but this shifted as he took courses at JMU.  Nikolas Roeske, another senior physics major, conducted this interview.

NR: What most excites you about doing research?

JP: The most exciting/interesting thing about research is not knowing what you are going to learn next. When it came to my research, we did a lot of prototyping and this is meant that with every new iteration we would usually come across a new problem and this allowed us to just learn more and more about the topic as we worked on it. Ultimately seeing the final product work and seeing the results is always satisfying as well.

NR: What lead you to this major?
JP: I was an engineering major, however I strongly disliked the classes and did not like the lack of choices in the field.  This caused me to switch to physics and I do not regret it.

NR: What are you most proud of?
JP: I am most proud of the fact that I am a role model for my younger brother. Who is in high school and I want him to see what he can accomplish by watching me.

NR: What do you like to do outside of classes?
JP: Some of my interest outside of the classroom include practicing the guitar and spending time with my little brother. Also I enjoy spending time with friends when I get the chance.