Friday, November 08, 2019

Senior Spotlight: Nikolas Roeske

Nikolas Roeske is a senior physics student at James Madison University with a minor in mathematics and a concentration in material physics. He attended Patriot High School in Bristow, Virginia.  While there, he was an active member of the schools marching band.  Nik was not always interested in physics, at a young age he had a strong interest in history and desired to be an archeologist.  Jorge Penaanother senior physics major conducted this interview. 

JP: What most excites you about doing research?

NR: The most exciting part about research is the satisfaction you get when you solve a problem that you have been working on for months. The whole time you have a professor with you who guides you through the process and teaches you.

JP: What led to choose your major and what do you like?

NR: I took engineering classes in high school. I enjoyed them very much. I took a physics class in college and thought it more interesting/insightful and so I decided to pursue it.

JP: What are some of your interests outside of school and physics?

NR: Even though I haven’t done it lately, I do enjoy the sport of fencing. I used to spend a good amount of time pursuing that.  Other than that, I enjoy spending time with friends outside of class and playing video games.

JP: What are you most proud of?

I am most proud of my three older brothers, each of whom are currently successful in their own career paths. One of them is a nuclear physicist who is currently an officer in the Navy, while the others are in the Army and Marines.